Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rainy Days


 It's another rainy day here.  Our average precipitation for January is 4.61 inches.  Yesterday, we had received 6.02 inches, and there is already more than an inch in my rain gauge from the rains that began in the wee hours this morning.


Every year, we long for rain when the hot air of August scorches the pavement, the plants, and the people, when all the moisture just stays in the air and wraps around us like a wet, wool blanket.


 For the most part, I enjoy the rain.  It does make me thankful that I don't have to go to work on a horse-drawn wagon.  It also makes me thankful that my house doesn't leak, although I can't say the same for my office at work.


I just hope all the bulbs in the ground that are getting ready to stretch toward the sunlight don't drown.


For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.  Matthew 5:45b