Skip to main content

Rite of Spring: Wilted Lettuce

Thankfully, we live in a world where fresh produce can be obtained all winter, but it wasn't always so.  My mom talked about how tired her family grew of canned vegetables with nothing fresh to eat.  Her family loved the first green vegetables of spring. She always planted early lettuce and onions for spring salads that we called wilted lettuce.  It wasn't really spring until we had one.  

We had wilted lettuce Tuesday for lunch.  Just in case you have forgotten how, this is the way I make mine.


Bacon.  This just won't work without bacon.  The amount I use varies with how much I have in the refrigerator.  I usually use more than this, but I was in no mood to go to the grocery store Tuesday morning.



Chop it up fine, then put in a skillet and cook it slow and low until it is crisp and there is a good amount of bacon fat.



This is deer tongue lettuce from our garden.  We usually plant black-seeded Simpson lettuce, but someone sent me these seeds so that's what we have.  This is a good hand full (how can you measure lettuce?). Try not to make too much, because it is really not that good after it gets cold.


I would estimate 2 or 3 cups once it is chopped up. 


In the meantime, keep stirring that bacon!


Chop up two or three green onions, including the green parts.  I kindly asked Hub to go to the garden to get some onions.  He brought them in the kitchen, clean with all the green chopped off.  Of course, I kindly asked him to go back and get some more with the green blades on!  

 After Hub and I had been dating a while, he was invited to eat with my family on  occasion.  One time, in the spring, we were all enjoying green onions and he was sure there was going to be a mass extinction of the Stricklin clan.  He had been taught that the green blades were poisonous, and had never eaten one.  His world  broadened considerably when he met me. However, some forty-five years later, he is still inclined to cut the green off. But I digress.


Chop the onions small, like this.  Add them to the chopped lettuce and mix it all together.


Pour the delicious bacon bits and fat all over the salad.


Now, ain't that purty? I'm getting hungry all over again.


Toss well, coating every shred of lettuce and onion with that heavenly bacon grease.



Just add some cornbread and whatever you can find in the frig. Tuesday, it was grilled chicken leftover from Sunday.  Grab some iced tea and you are good to go.  Enjoy.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Smoke Pie

I think it was in the late seventies that I first had Holy Smoke Pie.  It was at a party at Debra Morris Harville's house.  After we ate, Debra had to give the recipe to everyone there.  I came home and made it for my family, and it has been a favorite since then.  I always make it at holiday dinners, because I believe tradition is important.  It has become a favorite of our granddaughters. I've heard it called Chocolate Delight, Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert, and other odd things.  We call it Holy Smoke.  Here is how I make it: Chop us a cup of pecans; set aside. Add a stick of softened butter (NOT margarine) to one cup of self-rising flour. Cut the butter into the flour. Add the chopped pecans, and work it all together. Save two tablespoons of the pecans to sprinkle on top. Pour into a 9" x 12" pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Spread it over the bottom of the pan.  It helps to use your hands (or hand, if you have t

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Cedar Trees in Cemeteries

If you ever wander in old cemeteries, and I know many of you do, you are bound to see some cedar trees. The tradition goes back to the early days of the United States and even earlier  in Europe.  Cedar trees were not always used, but some type of evergreen trees were planted because they were a symbol of everlasting life.  Some  Cherokees believed that cedars contained powerful spirits, including the spirits of the departed buried beneath them. Perhaps because they are known as burial trees, there are many superstitions that surround cedars.  My grandmother told us in no uncertain terms that if we planted a cedar tree, we would die when it was large enough to shade our graves. Some others are: Never transplant a cedar tree; it will bring bad luck. If you transplant a cedar and it dies, you will die shortly. Planting a cedar tree in your yard welcomes poverty. Some say Christ was crucified on a cedar tree, and will bring bad luck if you burn it. If a cedar tree com