Skip to main content

Hanging out clothes


This picture showed up on Facebook last week.  I wish I knew who it belonged to so that I could give them credit.  It is a wonderful picture.

This could be my mama in her young years.  The women of her generation never wore pants, even on the coldest days.  They always wore the apron, too, and would have been lost without it.

The long pole in the center was to prop the clothesline up after the laundry was hung out to catch the best breezes and to get the laundry high enough to avoid animals and children.   It was built nearer to the house than the garden spot and the chicken pen.

This woman must have had her mother or mother-in-law living with her; there is no way she could worn  those enormous panties handing on the line.  We had a young man in our neighborhood who had to bring in the dry laundry sometimes; he would leave the panties hanging on the line in order not to defile his manhood.

It was one of our first chores, as soon as we were tall enough to remove the clothes pins.  I didn't enjoy it then, of course, it would have been wrong to enjoy anything that we were made to do.  Now, it might be kind of nice. 

I love sleeping on linens that still have the sunshine smell in them. Especially in October.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful story!You have a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smiles...the picture is a wonderful find. I still hang out jeans, towels, and sheets - well, I did, until my flannel sheets were pulled off the lines twice by the neighbor's dog. But when it gets warmer I'll try again and watch over the clothing better. I think drying them indoors has made the electric bill more this month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles or less: Rattlesnake Saloon

The Rattlesnake Saloon was opened on Labor Day, 2009.  Dining there is an unique experience. It is way out in the boonies in Colbert County, Alabama.  It is hard to get to, even for locals, but they have had visitors from all over the United States and many countries throughout the world. Sitting comfortably under the huge rock overhang, I couldn't help but think about the people who have sought shelter there from storms or heat.  I can imagine the Native Americans using this place for a meeting area or a dry place to camp for a while.  Not so many years ago, it was used as a pig pen. They have good food and live music and a hitching post if you want to ride your horse there.  Most of us were picked up in a pickup, called the "Saloon Taxi", that runs from the parking lot to the restaurant continuously while they are open. The Rattlesnake Saloon is aptly named.  During construction, workers unearthed a mother rattler with twelve babie...

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Old Water Tower in Florence, Alabama

So, we have lived in Florence since 1986 and I didn't see this old water tower until last week.  Shame on me.   It is located on Seymore Street, in a residential neighborhood in Florence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this tower of native stone was completed in 1890 as the foundation for a wrought- iron tank with a capacity of 280,000 gallons of water. It is 70 feet high and is located on the highest elevation in the city. Water was pumped here from Cypress Creek. It was constructed during the Industrial Boom at which time the population of Florence increased from approximately 2,000 in 1887 to over 6,000 in 1889. It was replaced by the adjoining standpipe in 1935.   (from historical marker on site.)   I'm sure there was lots of planning, lots of discussion about funding, and lots of joy when this water tower was completed.  Not one person who was there to celebrate its completion is alive today, but the water...