Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Time for Soup

Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, is one of my favorite cooks.  I have found that combining some of her recipes with Paula Deen's recipes can make some tasty food.

On Sunday afternoon, I made the Pioneer Woman's Seven Can Soup .  It is super easy to make and so good.


These are the cans of food I used:  Chili Beans (she used Pinto beans; I didn't have any in the house), black beans, corn, kidney beans, 2 cans tomatoes with peppers, and a can of Chili with no beans.


Open the cans and dump them in a pot. How hard is that?


Keep dumping.


Stir it all together.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer at least fifteen minutes.



Just before it is done, add about eight ounces of Velvetta cheese.  If you are a cheese snob and refuse to use Velvetta, you can use whatever you desire.  By the way, we paid $5.99 for two pounds of Velvetta; we bought 2 pounds of good cheddar for $4.99 at Sams. Velvetta is no longer cheap cheese, unfortunately.


Add to the pot and stir until the cheese is melted.


We serve it with saltines or cornbread.  I don't know if it freezes well; we have never had any leftovers that needed freezing.

I have made this in the crock pot, too.  I have learned that if you have something bubbling in the crock pot, you are far less tempted to stop for junk food before you get home from work.  I don't add the cheese until we are about ready for supper.

This is a great recipe for food hoarders; those of us who have lived through ice storms and tornadoes that destroy the power lines, leaving us for days without electricity.  This could be made in a pot on the grill or over a campfire.