Skip to main content

Gumbo

I have never lived in Louisiana, but I have seen every episode of Justin Wilson's Cajun cooking more than once, so that makes me highly qualified to talk about gumbo. I gar-on-tee!


There are thousands of different recipes for gumbo,  so you just cook what your family likes best.  I only make it when we have okra from the garden, and here is how I made it this year.
First, I chopped one cup each of green pepper, onion, celery, and carrots, six cloves of garlic, and, just because I could, two large jalapenos. I like to get all the chopping done before I start putting things together.


Next, I boiled six chicken thighs in about three quarts of water seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. You will need the chicken broth later. Shred the thighs, including the skin.


Start a roux with 1/2 cup bacon fat and 1/2 cup flour.  It looks like the one above when you start.  Cook it low and slow until it looks like this.


 I have a surplus of tomatoes now, so I cooked about 2 1/2 cups.  Canned tomatoes are fine, too.


This is a busy day for me, so I am making the gumbo in the crock pot.  You can make it on top of the stove, but you have to stir it occasionally and I don't have time for that today. Put the browned roux, the tomatoes, and the chopped veggies in the crock pot.  Stir well.  Add enough chicken broth to cover well.


Add the shredded chicken and one pound of kielbasa, sliced into thin rounds.  Stir.  Looking good already!



Slice about three cups of okra.  Okay, I forgot the okra earlier when I was doing the marathon chopping.  Add to the crock pot.



Add about 2 1/2 tablespoons of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Stir. That may sound like a lot, but this is a lot of gumbo I'm making.  Disclaimer: The people at Tony Chachere's do not pay me to advertise for them. However,  if they want to, I'll take it.


Add more chicken broth until everything is covered and the crock pot if full.  Cover, and set the crock pot on high for four hours or so. 



Four hours later, cook some rice and ladle the gumbo over it.  Add some toasted garlic/Italian bread. I really wish you could smell this.


It was yummy!  Hub thought so, too.


A six-quart crock pot holds a lot of gumbo.  We freeze the leftovers in one-pint containers for busy days.  We take it out of the freezer in the morning; after work, we cook rice and bread and have a good dinner in thirty minutes or less. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Holy Smoke Pie

I think it was in the late seventies that I first had Holy Smoke Pie.  It was at a party at Debra Morris Harville's house.  After we ate, Debra had to give the recipe to everyone there.  I came home and made it for my family, and it has been a favorite since then.  I always make it at holiday dinners, because I believe tradition is important.  It has become a favorite of our granddaughters. I've heard it called Chocolate Delight, Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert, and other odd things.  We call it Holy Smoke.  Here is how I make it: Chop us a cup of pecans; set aside. Add a stick of softened butter (NOT margarine) to one cup of self-rising flour. Cut the butter into the flour. Add the chopped pecans, and work it all together. Save two tablespoons of the pecans to sprinkle on top. Pour into a 9" x 12" pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Spread it over the bottom of the pan.  It helps to use your hands (or hand, if you have t

Cedar Trees in Cemeteries

If you ever wander in old cemeteries, and I know many of you do, you are bound to see some cedar trees. The tradition goes back to the early days of the United States and even earlier  in Europe.  Cedar trees were not always used, but some type of evergreen trees were planted because they were a symbol of everlasting life.  Some  Cherokees believed that cedars contained powerful spirits, including the spirits of the departed buried beneath them. Perhaps because they are known as burial trees, there are many superstitions that surround cedars.  My grandmother told us in no uncertain terms that if we planted a cedar tree, we would die when it was large enough to shade our graves. Some others are: Never transplant a cedar tree; it will bring bad luck. If you transplant a cedar and it dies, you will die shortly. Planting a cedar tree in your yard welcomes poverty. Some say Christ was crucified on a cedar tree, and will bring bad luck if you burn it. If a cedar tree com