Skip to main content

Multitude Monday: Worship


Cold wind was whipping the raindrops into tiny missiles and they attacked me as I hurried from my car up the stairs.  The warm purple cape that a friend had gifted me was dripping cold around the edges before I made it inside, worried that it would be ruined.  In my haste, gloves had been forgotten and holding the wet, iron stair rail was like holding ice.  I thought about the warm fire in the fireplace at home.

I am settled, surrounded by friends, the slightly damp cape behind me, when the good pastor, he looks straight at me and says, "Have we become padded pew Christians?"  I am ashamed.  I have come to worship and all I have thought about is my own comfort.

Tangible things are a blessing from God.  There is nothing wrong with having a beautiful, comfortable place to worship, as long as it isn't what we are worshiping.  The same Holy Spirit inhabits our praise, whether it is a thatch-roofed hut in Africa or a crude block building in Honduras or a cathedral with steeples reaching toward heaven. 



 
Thanking Him today for:
    this promise: Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)
    a warm and dry place to worship
    no fear of being arrested for worshipping God
    a Father that is never distant
    a Father that will never fail
    a Father who will do what He says He will do
    a Father who is always enough
    friends to pray with
    friends to laugh with
    friends that help when I stumble
    friends to teach me
    elderly friends who mentor
    young friends who give me hope


    friends who call at just the right time
    a safe trip out of town
    beautiful granddaughters
    unexpectedly seeing old friends
    freedom to dance
    health to dance
    success stories
    sunshine after the rain
    reflection of sunlight off windchimes; dancing on the wall
    hot cereal
    work to do
    the power of letting go
   



                                    Joy Dare 101-125

Comments

  1. Nice! I have much to be thankful for too. Love the photos you put with this post : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the expression, "padded pew Christians". How many people just go to church out of habit and go home without any knowledge of the real love of God? I am so thankful we can still worship without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, thanks for reading my blog. Always love to see your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100 miles or less: Rattlesnake Saloon

The Rattlesnake Saloon was opened on Labor Day, 2009.  Dining there is an unique experience. It is way out in the boonies in Colbert County, Alabama.  It is hard to get to, even for locals, but they have had visitors from all over the United States and many countries throughout the world. Sitting comfortably under the huge rock overhang, I couldn't help but think about the people who have sought shelter there from storms or heat.  I can imagine the Native Americans using this place for a meeting area or a dry place to camp for a while.  Not so many years ago, it was used as a pig pen. They have good food and live music and a hitching post if you want to ride your horse there.  Most of us were picked up in a pickup, called the "Saloon Taxi", that runs from the parking lot to the restaurant continuously while they are open. The Rattlesnake Saloon is aptly named.  During construction, workers unearthed a mother rattler with twelve babie...

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Old Water Tower in Florence, Alabama

So, we have lived in Florence since 1986 and I didn't see this old water tower until last week.  Shame on me.   It is located on Seymore Street, in a residential neighborhood in Florence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this tower of native stone was completed in 1890 as the foundation for a wrought- iron tank with a capacity of 280,000 gallons of water. It is 70 feet high and is located on the highest elevation in the city. Water was pumped here from Cypress Creek. It was constructed during the Industrial Boom at which time the population of Florence increased from approximately 2,000 in 1887 to over 6,000 in 1889. It was replaced by the adjoining standpipe in 1935.   (from historical marker on site.)   I'm sure there was lots of planning, lots of discussion about funding, and lots of joy when this water tower was completed.  Not one person who was there to celebrate its completion is alive today, but the water...