Skip to main content

Do you blush?


I used to blush because I was embarrassed from blushing so much.

I hated it when someone said something that would make me turn a lovely shade of magenta, like "your legs are soooo skinny". (BTW, you should see me now.) Or, when one of my siblings announced that a certain boy moved his seat on the bus so he could be right behind me. Oh, and the worst one, when the teacher called on you in class and you didn't have a clue what the answer was. It didn't take much for my body temperature to rise and spread over my face and neck.

We all loved our colorful Coca-Cola calendars, the scantily-clad cuties who were always so happy to be drinking their Cokes in glass bottles. One relative wanted one of those calendars, but couldn't bring herself to hang it in the living room where just anybody could see it, causing embarrassment and prompting questions from teenagers! What if the preacher came to visit? Her solution: she got crayons and made the young ladies lovely outfits to wear over their swimsuits.

Those were the days when Lucy and Ricky slept in twin beds and we got to wonder how Little Ricky happened, instead of the play-by-play we would get today, the days when specific items of conversation were not for mixed company, and when we got dressed, we actually put on clothing that covered most body parts.

Things that were so awful then that we whispered about them, scared to say such things out loud, are said and shown on prime time television now, laughed about, sometimes even in the 'serious' newscasts. I don't even notice things now that would have turned me beet-red a few years ago. We have been desensitized, however unwillingly, little by little in a society where morals are old-fashioned.

That is NOT a good thing!


Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct?
No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush.
Jeremiah 8:12

Comments

  1. Hey Wanda
    Did I used to blush? I probably would have if my skin were lighter. I'm African-american. However, I was embarrassed and felt uneasy a lot of times, so much that, I'd imagine when I felt this way, I'd be blushing. When the teacher called on me and I didn't know the answer, I'm sure I would've blushed, but it wasn't visible.

    Also, my mom was telling me once that back in the Lucy and Ricky days, you weren't allowed to say the word "pregnant" on TV. The woman said, "I'm expecting." It almost seemed like pregnant was a dirty word. She also said what you mentioned - back then, it was a no-no for a husband and wife to be in the same bed on TV. Looked like they didn't want the viewers to know that sex existed for married couples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! I still blush and still feel awkward when something off colored pops up. LOL. Loved visiting here! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I heard somewhere that the man and wife on the Brady Bunch were the first to share the same bed on TV. I embarrass easy, too, especially at some of the stuff on TV now a days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm old enough to think it's a disgrace the way people talk on TV now, not only in the shows, but also in the advertisements. I can hardly bring myself to say "pregnant" or "butt", etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Smoke Pie

I think it was in the late seventies that I first had Holy Smoke Pie.  It was at a party at Debra Morris Harville's house.  After we ate, Debra had to give the recipe to everyone there.  I came home and made it for my family, and it has been a favorite since then.  I always make it at holiday dinners, because I believe tradition is important.  It has become a favorite of our granddaughters. I've heard it called Chocolate Delight, Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert, and other odd things.  We call it Holy Smoke.  Here is how I make it: Chop us a cup of pecans; set aside. Add a stick of softened butter (NOT margarine) to one cup of self-rising flour. Cut the butter into the flour. Add the chopped pecans, and work it all together. Save two tablespoons of the pecans to sprinkle on top. Pour into a 9" x 12" pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Spread it over the bottom of the pan.  It helps to use your hands (or hand, if you have t

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Cedar Trees in Cemeteries

If you ever wander in old cemeteries, and I know many of you do, you are bound to see some cedar trees. The tradition goes back to the early days of the United States and even earlier  in Europe.  Cedar trees were not always used, but some type of evergreen trees were planted because they were a symbol of everlasting life.  Some  Cherokees believed that cedars contained powerful spirits, including the spirits of the departed buried beneath them. Perhaps because they are known as burial trees, there are many superstitions that surround cedars.  My grandmother told us in no uncertain terms that if we planted a cedar tree, we would die when it was large enough to shade our graves. Some others are: Never transplant a cedar tree; it will bring bad luck. If you transplant a cedar and it dies, you will die shortly. Planting a cedar tree in your yard welcomes poverty. Some say Christ was crucified on a cedar tree, and will bring bad luck if you burn it. If a cedar tree com