Skip to main content

Yeast Rolls



I love making yeast rolls.  I started making them about forty years ago, and I never get tired of it.  If the rolls turn out well at a holiday dinner, it really doesn't matter about the rest of the things you serve, because the rolls are all your guests will remember.  It is not that hard if you take it step-by-step.  I usually start at least three hours before dinner will be served.

This recipe comes from an old Southern Living cookbook.  When you find one that works for you, stick with it.


Start with 2 cups of warm water in your mixer bowl.  Add 2 packages of dry yeast, or 2 tablespoons if you buy yeast in bulk like I do.


After about five minutes, the yeast will "bloom" or rise to the top and bubble like this.  If your yeast doesn't rise, dump this out, go buy some fresh yeast and start over.  Ask me how I know this.


Go ahead and prepare a large, greased bowl for the dough to rise in.


After the yeast is ready, add 6 tablespoons of sugar,



 1 teaspoon of salt,



4 tablespoons of shortening,


2 eggs,


and three cups of plain/bread flour.  Mix at the slowest speed at first, or the flour will go all over the kitchen counter.  Ask me how I know this.


Beat until smooth, about 2 minutes or so.  Add flour until a stiff dough forms, about 2 1/2 or 3 cups.



This is not quite ready; needs more flour.



Now, it is ready.  If you are using a hand-held mixer, be careful here.  You can easily burn up the motor in it with the stiff dough.  Ask me how I know this.  Just put a stand mixer on your Christmas list.



Dump the dough into the bowl you prepared earlier.  Turn it so that all the outside is greased.


Like this.  Cover with a dish towel and put it in a warm place.  I usually put mine on the back of the stove where it is always warm enough.  Wait for an hour or a little longer until the dough is doubled in size.  Your kitchen will be smelling good at this point.


I love it when it turns out like this!


Use your fist to punch the dough down.  It is especially nice to make this on days when you are totally stressed out and need to punch something or somebody. The dough won't mind and you won't get arrested.

At this point, you can cover the dough and refrigerate the dough up to five days.  Bring it back to room temperature before you go to the next step.  I have done this, and it works okay, but I like to do it all at once.


Roll the dough onto a cutting board and roll out to about 1/2" thickness. I usually do it in two batches; makes it easier to work with. My sister, Mary Lynn, bought that rolling pin for me in 1971 and I've used it since.  I have more cute rolling pins that I have collected through the years, but I always use this one.  It makes me think about her.  Sure wish she was still with us to see it now.


I use a regular biscuit cutter to cut them out, but that's up to you.  You could make them larger or smaller, but this has always worked for me.


I cook mine on three cookie sheets.  That way, you can put them in the oven at different times.  If you happen to burn one pan, you still have two pans left.  Ask me how I know this.


Let them rise again for about an hour.  You don't need to cover them this time. Looking good!


Cover the top with some melted butter.  Cook in a 400 degree oven.  Takes 10-12 minutes.



Oh, yeah!!! Get them to the table as soon as possible.  People will love you.  Ask me how I know this.


Be sure to have some softened butter on the table for your rolls.  Enjoy!

This recipe makes 36-40 rolls. You can half this recipe if needed.  On the rare occasions when we have some left, I freeze them.  When we are ready for them, I thaw them and warm in the oven with a wet paper towel over them.  Not as good as when they were fresh, but still pretty tasty.

Start making these today, and when the time comes for Christmas dinner, you will be a pro.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Holy Smoke Pie

I think it was in the late seventies that I first had Holy Smoke Pie.  It was at a party at Debra Morris Harville's house.  After we ate, Debra had to give the recipe to everyone there.  I came home and made it for my family, and it has been a favorite since then.  I always make it at holiday dinners, because I believe tradition is important.  It has become a favorite of our granddaughters. I've heard it called Chocolate Delight, Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert, and other odd things.  We call it Holy Smoke.  Here is how I make it: Chop us a cup of pecans; set aside. Add a stick of softened butter (NOT margarine) to one cup of self-rising flour. Cut the butter into the flour. Add the chopped pecans, and work it all together. Save two tablespoons of the pecans to sprinkle on top. Pour into a 9" x 12" pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Spread it over the bottom of the pan.  It helps to use your hands (or hand, if you have t

Cedar Trees in Cemeteries

If you ever wander in old cemeteries, and I know many of you do, you are bound to see some cedar trees. The tradition goes back to the early days of the United States and even earlier  in Europe.  Cedar trees were not always used, but some type of evergreen trees were planted because they were a symbol of everlasting life.  Some  Cherokees believed that cedars contained powerful spirits, including the spirits of the departed buried beneath them. Perhaps because they are known as burial trees, there are many superstitions that surround cedars.  My grandmother told us in no uncertain terms that if we planted a cedar tree, we would die when it was large enough to shade our graves. Some others are: Never transplant a cedar tree; it will bring bad luck. If you transplant a cedar and it dies, you will die shortly. Planting a cedar tree in your yard welcomes poverty. Some say Christ was crucified on a cedar tree, and will bring bad luck if you burn it. If a cedar tree com