Cherry Mansion was built on a bluff overlooking the Tennessee River in Savannah, Tennessee. During the Battle of Shiloh, it served as Union Headquarters for General Grant and his staff.
General Grant and his staff stayed at Cherry Mansion before and after the Battle of Shiloh. The story goes that they were eating breakfast on the morning of April 6, 1862, when they heard cannons from Shiloh, seven miles up the river. They boarded a steamboat and traveled to the battle site that would become known as one of the bloodiest battles in American history.
Cherry Mansion is privately owned at this time.