Skip to main content

Folklife Fridays: Superstitions



There was a new baby boy born this week to our friends at the House of Hope.

It is always such a joyous occasion to have a wee one in the house.

Several years ago, I went through two successful pregnancies. Things were a lot different in the seventies. It seemed my mother and grandmother had a superstition for everything I did while I was pregnant.

First of all, it wasn't supposed to be mentioned in public until the tummy protruded to a point that it could no longer be denied.
(Yes, Grandma, we went past the holding-hands stage. I think most married people do!)



At about my eighth month, my firstborn was kicking and I allowed my unmarried sister to put her hands on my tummy to feel it. My grandma was so embarrassed, she got up and left the room. (I must have been a wild woman!)

During my mother's and grandmother's pregnancies, they didn't go to church, the store, or anywhere public. They thought it best to be modest.
However, after the baby was born, they thought it perfectly acceptable to whip their breast out during church for the child to suckle.



Here are just some of the superstitions concerning pregnancy. There are many, many more than those listed here.


1. If you lift your hands above your head you could wrap the umbilical cord around the baby's neck.

2. Mothers need to stay in the house for six weeks after having the baby so their pores will close.

3. Buying clothes for the baby early is bad luck; you're tempting fate.

4. Pregnant women should avoid cats; they might "steal the babies breath."

5. If a woman wants the sex of her child to be male she must wear blue all through the pregnancy.
Likewise, if she wishes the sex of her child to be female, she must wear pink throughout the pregnancy

6. Pregnant women were not allow to spin wool in the past as this meant her child would die by hanging.


7. Pregnant women were forbidden to prepare food or help with farm animals as they may contaminate the animals.

8. If a woman is having problems conceiving then all she had to do to ensure success was to hug a pregnant woman.

9. Long ago, women were confined in order to ward off evil or the fairies swapping the child at birth.


10. If a woman wants her child to be fair in color then all she had to do was to look at a corpse.

11. It is lucky for a pregnant woman to step over a black cat. It is unlucky if she steps over any other color cat.

12. If a baby kicks on the left-hand side of the womb it is female and on the right, it is male.

13. If a pregnant woman steps over a grave this will ensure premature death for her child.


14. Lions and tigers become enraged at the approach of a pregnant woman, so stay away from the zoo!

15. Lots of heartburn means the baby will have lots of hair.



Humans have to have an answer for everything. In the days before we could google anything, people looked at patterns and past experiences to come up with their answers. Most we hear now are just silly, but some "superstitions" could be accurate.

My grandmother had lost a child soon after it was born; she was going to do everything she could to prevent that from happening to anyone else.

My two sons are now strong adults that are the joy of my heart. I can't recollect ever stepping over a black cat when they were in my womb.
Both have lots of hair, so I guess the heartburn was worth it.

Comments

  1. Great post! When I was pregnant with my girls-my Granny Gazzie died. My Uncles and Aunts warned me and warned me about looking at her in the casket-cause I would 'mark' the babies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Amish in Stantonville, Tennessee

Last week, my sis and her hub went with us to the Amish community near Stantonville, Tennessee.  It was a beautiful day, and we love driving to new places and finding new treasures.  We enjoy these mini-trips we take together, where we giggle a lot and get caught up on everything.  Also, the squirrels ate all our tomatoes, so we needed to find some to buy. You know the food you are buying is fresh when they bring it from the field while you are standing there waiting for it. Here is part of what we brought home, and it was all delicious. Stantonville is located in McNairy County, Tennessee, northwest of Shiloh National Military Park.

Holy Smoke Pie

I think it was in the late seventies that I first had Holy Smoke Pie.  It was at a party at Debra Morris Harville's house.  After we ate, Debra had to give the recipe to everyone there.  I came home and made it for my family, and it has been a favorite since then.  I always make it at holiday dinners, because I believe tradition is important.  It has become a favorite of our granddaughters. I've heard it called Chocolate Delight, Four-Layer Chocolate Dessert, and other odd things.  We call it Holy Smoke.  Here is how I make it: Chop us a cup of pecans; set aside. Add a stick of softened butter (NOT margarine) to one cup of self-rising flour. Cut the butter into the flour. Add the chopped pecans, and work it all together. Save two tablespoons of the pecans to sprinkle on top. Pour into a 9" x 12" pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Spread it over the bottom of the pan.  It helps to use your hands (or hand, if you have t

Cedar Trees in Cemeteries

If you ever wander in old cemeteries, and I know many of you do, you are bound to see some cedar trees. The tradition goes back to the early days of the United States and even earlier  in Europe.  Cedar trees were not always used, but some type of evergreen trees were planted because they were a symbol of everlasting life.  Some  Cherokees believed that cedars contained powerful spirits, including the spirits of the departed buried beneath them. Perhaps because they are known as burial trees, there are many superstitions that surround cedars.  My grandmother told us in no uncertain terms that if we planted a cedar tree, we would die when it was large enough to shade our graves. Some others are: Never transplant a cedar tree; it will bring bad luck. If you transplant a cedar and it dies, you will die shortly. Planting a cedar tree in your yard welcomes poverty. Some say Christ was crucified on a cedar tree, and will bring bad luck if you burn it. If a cedar tree com